Read detailed testimonials
“highly qualified…extremely knowledgeable…compassionate guidance”
Cathy Cheshire is the Founder, Creator, and Administrator of Cathy Cheshire, LLC, Master Grief Coaching and Online Certification. She is transparent about her qualifications including credentials, education, experience, and influencers contributing to the success of how she makes a contribution to improving grief education opportunity.
- Master Grief Coach Certification Program
- Personal Loss Experience
- Association Membership
- Grief Organization Email Subscriptions
- Advisors, Coaches, and Mentors
- Credentials Explanation
- Experts Referenced and Recommended Resources
Master Grief Coach Certification Program
Cathy has a business degree from Arizona State University. She transitioned from a healthcare career including positions as a CEO, Consultant, Leadership Coach, and Behavioral Helpline Director of Operations to grief, coaching, and small business Author, Speaker, and Teacher. Her credentials include grief counseling training and mentoring from The Portland Institute for Loss and Transition and Life Coach Certification from Dr Michael J Duckett, AA, BS, MA, DC, JDScience, Law, Chiropractic, Theology, Psychology, and world-renowned Social Scientist. The International Coaching Science Research Institute is a leader in Life Coach training and certification since 1996 providing quality training and over 5,000 Life Coach certifications.
Cathy experienced a lifetime of loss including the death of two children. She created the Certified Master Grief Coach program because of how much she struggled to find healthy grief information and support. She spent over three years researching the work of prominent psychologists, psychiatrists, neuroscientists, and other related specialists referenced at the bottom of this webpage and at the end of corresponding modules.
She recognized the opportunity to create a unique grief education program combining diverse summarized grief expert information, not including any other personal opinions with the fundamental communication components of life coaching and mental/behavioral health counseling/therapy. Mental disorder treatment information which is only a mental/behavioral health Counselor/Therapist licensed specialty is not included. Grief is natural but can lead to a psychological illness it if becomes unresolved.
The Master Grief Coach Certification program is for those already supporting grievers or for those who want to without the time and expense of becoming a mental/behavioral health Counselor/Therapist. The program is for those who want to focus on grief and not mental disorders, who commonly have limited time and/or financial resources.
Grief related topics are generally avoided and most wait until emotional pain is negatively affecting their life before seeking knowledge and support. It is much easier to learn about loss and grief when not experiencing feelings of despair which can quickly lead to hopelessness and in extreme cases suicide. Understanding grief and the basic communication skills of coaching can benefit anyone, be modeled for children, and taught in schools. Knowing what is common about grief, being present, listening, companioning, guiding, and co-creating rather than giving advice supports another human in finding their way with better outcomes. We may also feel empowered with tools to respond to whatever happens in our own life.
Grief is individual and those beginning any healing journey may benefit from starting with the beliefs from those who have worked with the most grievers and applying whatever best resonates. Using the skill Cathy developed in healthcare to translate advanced medical specialty expert information into simple terms for non-clinical employees, Cathy simplified information from academic research experts to produce separate grief and coaching modules. The small business module is based on Cathy’s education and experience. The three modules can be studied individually for those who already have expertise in one or two of the topics. She saw the benefits of combining expert grief and coaching information with individual oral discussion over group training or just receiving a certificate where students may not know what they missed or incorrectly comprehended.
Using technology instead of traveling for education, self-study of quality easy to read concise information, dedicated individual certification hours, unlimited self-arranged practice hours to make grief coaching a habit, and optional flexible individual training or practice sessions is convenient, effective, and minimizes program expense. Those certified as a Master Grief Coach receive the business module and any future ongoing module updates free.
Reasons grief education programs are essential include:
- Experts agree on lack of extensive robust focus on grief education
- Mental/behavioral health Counselors/Therapists may enhance and save lives with their extensive education including mental/behavioral disorders but do not have to take grief specific education unless it is included in their specific degree curriculum which varies with each university
- Some mental/behavioral health Counselors/Therapists list grief as a specialty without formal grief education
- Not all mental/behavioral health Counselors/Therapists have profound grief experience
- Need for more diverse grief education options in addition to mental/behavioral health counseling/therapy
- Need for central grief theory and therapy information so grievers can easily know all that is available to make decisions best for them
- Many are unknowingly following grief and healing misinformation from other people
- Abundance of those already supporting grievers or who want to and desire convenient, affordable, and quality grief education
- Need for basic grief education and life coaching communication skills, especially for high school students becoming adults are valuable life skills
Grief education options vary. Grievers may be most inspired by working with those who understand grief where they feel the best connection. There is no grief wizard. Grievers may have the best opportunity for healing when they follow their hearts regarding what is best for them, seeking support when needed. Various resources include:
- Written information
- Personal relationships
- Grief support groups
- Self-styled non-credentialed grief professionals
- Certified Grief Coaches, Specialists, Practitioners, and Educators
- Mental/Behavioral Health Counselors/Therapists.
Many do not think about or do not know they can ask what grief education and experience any professional has when considering their services. It is in the best interest of a griever to decide on a provider after considering recommendations, profiles, and responses to specific questions. It may be beneficial to learn from multiple resources, discontinuing any that are not helping.
Personal Loss Experience
- 1995 Estranged from parents and siblings after vocalizing in her 30s with another sibling about being abused as a children
- 2006 Successful relationship and marriage after 3 prior divorces involving financial hardship
- 2007 Biological only child died in a car accident at age 16
- 2017 Stepson, husband’s only child, died from a blood clot stroke at age 29
- Loved ones tried to die by suicide and struggled with addiction
- Founder of the “Master Grief Coach” training program with a certification option including summarized comprehensive and advanced grief and healing information from diverse grief and neuroscience experts.
- Author of “Thriving After the Death of a Child” available on Amazon and major online bookstores.
- Over 28 years of progressive responsibility in healthcare hospital and medical practice business operations including successful roles as a CEO, Consultant, Leadership Coach, and Behavioral Helpline Director of Operations. Portfolio of reviews and recommendation letters proving expertise in a breadth of skills and superior results can be provided.
- College Degree
- Sensitive and Empath
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Business & Finance, Arizona State University
- Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®
The Grief Recovery Institute, Includes basic grief information and step-by-step emotional release education
- Grief Counseling/Therapy Intensive Training: Meaning Reconstruction in Loss, Substantial education in the latest research and practice on meaning-oriented grief therapies, Portland Institute for Loss and Transition PortlandInstitute.org
Instructors Robert A Neimeyer, PhD, Psychology, Director and other world-class faculty. Dr. Neimeyer is a scholar, author, speaker, and practicing psychologist. He works to advance a progressive theory of grieving as a meaning-making process. He served as President of the Association for Death Education (ADEC) and Counseling and Chair of the International Work Group for Death, Dying, & Bereavement. In recognition of his contributions, he has been granted the Eminent Faculty Award by the University of Memphis, made a Fellow of the Clinical Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association, and given Lifetime Achievement Awards by both the ADEC and the International Network on Personal Meaning. Individual mentoring from faculty.
Featured Speakers Robert A. Neimeyer, PhD; Edward K. Rynearson, MD; Laurie A. Burke, PhD; Darcy Harris, RN, RSW, PhD, FT; Jakob van Wielink, MA; Lara Krawchuk, MSW, LCSW, MPH; Carolyn Ng, PsyD, FT; Donna L. Schuurman, EdD, FT; Jana DeCristofaro, LCSW; Laura Takacs, LICSW, MPH; Kathy Story, MA, JD; and Carrie Arnold, PhD, M.Ed., RSW, CCC, FT
- Loss, Grief, and the Quest for Meaning: Understanding how growth can come from grief, despite the emotional challenges that mourning brings, TAPS Institute for Hope and Healing ®
Instructor Robert A Neimeyer, PhD, Psychology
- Traumatic Grief After Violent Dying
Instructor Ted K. Rynearson, MD, Psychiatry, FAPA, FACP, FRANZCP, Clinical Psychiatrist and Researcher, Mason Clinic Psychiatry Founder, Full-time Clinical Practice, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Clinical and Research Effects of Violent Death on Family Members Publications, Non-profit The Violent Death Bereavement Society (vdbs.org) Founder
- Early Intervention Approaches to Bolster Resilience after Traumatic Loss, Association for Death Education and Counseling
Instructor Alyssa A Rheingold, PhD, Psychiatry, Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Professor at the National Crime Victim’s Research and Treatment Center within the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Medical University of South Carolina, Evidence-based treatment of trauma-related mental health issues, grief and loss, and traumatic loss by homicide
- Catching Your Breath in Grief: Lessons for the Bereaved, Thinkers, and Caregivers, Association for Death Education and Counseling Conference
Instructor Thomas Attig, PhD, Philosophy, author and well known international speaker to medical and behavioral providers on death and grief, Philosophy Professor, Association for Death Education and Counseling Past President, The Board of Directors of the International Work Group on Death, Dying, and Bereavement Past Vice-Chair
- On Grief and Grieving Certificate of Successful Completion Training for Professionals
Instructor David Kessler, MS, Health Care Administration, Bioethics, one of the world’s foremost experts on healing and loss. He is the author of five bestselling books, including “You Can Heal Your Heart: Finding Peace After Breakup, Divorce or Death” with Louise Hay. He co-authored two bestsellers with the legendary Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, PhD, Psychiatry
- Transforming Grief and Loss: Strategies to Help Your Clients Through Major Life Transitions
Instructor Ligia M Hoban, MA, FT, FAAGC, CPC, CHT, Founder of My Meaningful Life, LLC, The Center for Transforming Lives Executive Director, “Transform Your Loss,” “Counseling Hispanics Through Loss, Grief, and Bereavement,” and “Transforming Grief & Loss Workbook: Activities, Exercises & Skills to Coach Your Client Through Life Transitions LigiaHouben.com
- Grief as a Mystical Experience
Instructor Terri Daniel, DMin, CT, CCTP, Clinical Chaplain, Certified Trauma Professional, End-of-Life Educator Certified in Death, Dying and Bereavement by the Association of Death Education and Counseling, BA in Religious Studies, MA in Pastoral Care, DMin Pastoral Care and Counseling, San Francisco Theological Seminary, Author, Founder of the Afterlife Awareness Conference
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Trauma, PTSD, and Grief
Instructor Charles Jacob, PhD, Psychology, is the immediate past president of the Pennsylvania Branch of the American Counseling Association Past President, Licensed Psychologist in Private Practice
- Person-Centered Emotion-Focused Approach to Grief including recent innovations in models of grief and trauma
Instructor Dale G Larson, PhD, Psychology, Graduate Professor of Counseling Psychology, Clinician and Fulbright Scholar, Award-winning “The Helper’s Journey: Working with People Facing Grief, Loss, and Life-Threatening Illness” Author, Numerous Awards Recipient for End-of-Life Contributions and Training, 2016 Association for Death Education and Counseling Death Educator Award
- Understanding Grief and Applying Modern Grief Theory: Explores the most prominent grief theories to have emerged from fields of psychology and thanatology, beginning with neurologist Dr. Sigmund Freud and working forward to the most current evidence-based models of grief, TAPS Institute for Hope and Healing ®
Instructors Litsa Williams and Eleanor Haley, Mental Health Professionals with 20+ years of experience in grief and bereavement, Co-founders of WhatsYourGrief.com
- Healing Trauma: Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body
Instructor Peter Levine, PhD, Biophysics and Psychology specializing in trauma, Somatic Experiencing® Founder, a clinical method to resolve trauma symptoms, groundbreaking research focuses on the effects of trauma and stress on the body and nervous system
www.TraumaHealing.org and www.SomaticExperiencing.com
- The Healing Trauma Summit – Volume 1: Transform Trauma with Advances in Neuroscience, Spiritual Psychology, and Embodied Approaches to Healing, The latest research, and theory on how trauma that still lives in your body needs to be resolved.
Instructors Peter Levine, PhD, Psychology; Judith Blackstone, PhD, Psychology, Eastern Religion; Zainab Salbi, Iraqi-American Women’s Rights and Freedom Humanitarian, Entrepreneur, Author, and Media Commentator; Dawson Church, PhD, Natural Medicine, Health Writer, Researcher, Health, Psychology, and Spirituality Author; Elizabeth Rosner, Activist, American Novelist, Nonfiction Author
- Broken Heart, Broken Spirit, Resilient Soul: Physical, Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual Grief, Compassionate Friends National Conference
Instructor Mark Keep, MD, Cardiology, Addiction Medicine, Complicated Grief
- Understanding Why People Die by Suicide
Instructor Carla Stumpf-Patton, EdD, Counseling Psychology, LMHC, NCC, FT, CCTP, Surviving Spouse of Marine Sgt. Richard Stumpf, EdD, Education Counseling Psychology, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, National Certified Counselor, Certified Fellow Thanatologist, Certified Clinical Trauma Professional, Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) Institute for Hope and Healing Suicide Postvention Programs Director
- Multiple Losses and Bereavement Overload, Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement
Instructor J. William Worden, PhD, Psychology, ABPP, American Psychological Association Fellow, Harvard Medical School and Rosemead Graduate School of Psychology in California Academic Appointments
- Healing Collective Trauma in Communities, Harvard Medical School
Instructor Bala Subramaniam, MD, MPH, Meditation Programs Creator for patients and providers; Thomas Hübl, Founder, Academy of Inner Science, Collective Trauma Healing Specialist, Integrates the essence of the great traditions of wisdom with scientific knowledge and his own personal experience.
- It Doesn’t Hurt as Much Anymore, Now What Do I Do?
Instructor Bob Baugher, PhD, Psychology, Bob Baugher, Highline Community College Psychology and Death Education Professor, LivingWorks Suicide Intervention Trainer
- Finding Self Compassion: Discover How to Treat Yourself With Compassion on Your Grief Journey
Instructor Tanya Lord, MPH, PhD, Clinical and Population Health Research, Past Special Education Teacher, Medical Staff and Student Effective Before and After Patient Medical Error Communication from Personal and Professional Experiences Presentation and Workshop Speaker, TheGriefToolbox.com Co-founder
- Finding Your Direction Again: Explore Choices Along the Journey and Discover Paths That Lead to a Life You Love
Instructor Glen Lord Boston University Marketing and Operations Management Degree Graduate, National Compassionate Friends Board of Directors Past President, Inspirational Keynote Speaker, Presenter and Workshop Leader, International Grief Institute Co-founder and CEO, TheGriefToolbox.com Co-founder
- Grief-Reiki: Learn to Balance the Emotional, Spiritual, and Physical Components of Grief
Instructor Sharon Ehlers, Award-Winning Author, Speaker, Reiki Master, Certified Master Grief Coach, Advanced Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®, Death Midwife, Books: Grief Reiki®, Grief Diaries Co-author & Contributor
- Love Life After Loss: Learn to Move Beyond Grief and Give Yourself Permission to Embrace Life’s Second Act
Instructor Robin Chodak, Certified Grief, Life, and Spiritual Coach, Master NLP Practitioner, Reiki Practitioner, Best-selling Author, Host on Transformation TV RobinChodak.com
- Healing in Grief and Beyond: Explore The Five Facets of Processed That Support You in Active Grief and Beyond
Instructor Annah Elizabeth, The Five Facets Philosophy on Healing™ Founder and Creator, Author, Speaker including TEDx, Intuitive, and Healing Specialist™, National Radio Programs Guest, Local Hospital Guest Lecturer, Dually Certified Energy Therapy Practitioner, Master-Instructor Level IET®, Certified Medical Reiki Master AnnahElizabeth.com
- Proactive Grieving with Heart: Discover tools and insight on how to become an intentional survivor by using the power of your own vulnerability as a catalyst for resiliency and turning loss into legacy
Instructor Mitch Carmody, GSP, CCP, Writer, Artist, Grief Educator, and a Nationally Recognized Motivational Speaker, MrHeartlight YouTube channel, “Grief Chat” Radio Show Host, Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) Grief Facilitator, National Board of Directors for The Compassionate Friends Past Member HeartlightStudios.net
- Honoring Secondary Grief: Learn to Turn Loss Into Legacy and Use Your Own Vulnerability as a Catalyst for Growth
Instructor Shelby Forsythia, “Permission to Grieve” Author, “Coming Back: Conversations on Life After Loss” Podcast Host, Grief Student and Educator, Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®, Reiki Level II Practitioner, Intuitive Grief Guide, Work Featured on Huffington Post, Bustle, and The Oprah Magazine ShelbyForsythia.com
- Grief Keynote Speaker, Compassionate Friends National Conference
Instructor Basia Mosinski, MB MFA, Mind, Body, & Spiritual Alignment Coach, The Compassionate Friends Newport Beach Chapter founder and leader.
- Men Explaining How Men Grieve to Women, Compassionate Friends National Conference
A panel of men experienced healing from grief answering questions from an audience of women.
- Ten Things You Can Do to Change Your Life: Down The Road in Your Grief Journey, Compassionate Friends National Conference
Instructors Gloria Horsley, PhD, Psychology and Heidi Horsley, PsyD, Psychology, Open to Hope
- Certified Life Coach
Instructor Dr Michael J Duckett, AA, BS, MA, DC, JDScience, Law, Chiropractic, Theology, Psychology, world-renowned Social Scientist, The International Coaching Science Research Institute is a leader in Life Coach Training and Certification since 1996 providing quality training and over 5,000 Life Coach Certifications.
- Certified Mental Health First Aid USA: A national program managed, operated, and disseminated by the National Council for Behavioral Health. Teaches skills to provide initial help and support to the signs of mental illness, substance use, or crisis. MentalHealthFirstAid.org
Instructor Reverend Karell T McDaniel, LICDC-CS is a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, 30+ Years Clinical Supervisor, Successful Author
- Certified Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner Training Course Certificate
Instructor Kain Ramsey, an international best-selling multidisciplinary trainer with specialist knowledge in the disciplines of NLP, CBT, mindfulness, hypnotherapy and life coaching
- Successful Strategies to Make First Client Sessions Great, National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine
Course Director Ruth Buczynski, PhD, Psychology, NICABM Founder and President
Top expert instructors sharing insights and strategies include Lynn Lyons, LICSWRon Siegel, PsyD, Ellyn Bader, PhDRick Hanson, PhD, Bill O’Hanlon, LMFT, Marsha Linehan, PsyD, Kelly McGonigal, PhD, Joan Borysenko, PhD, Pat Ogden, PhD, Shelly Harrell, PhD, Dan Siegel, MD, Richard Schwartz, PhD, Stephen Porges, PhD, Christine Padeksy, PhD, Zindel Segal, PhD, Sue Johnson, EdDStan Tatkin, PsyD, MGT
- Motivational Interviewing: The Heart of Recovery Coaching, Net Institute Center for Addiction & Recovery Education, International Association of Professional Recovery Coaches
Instructor William R Miller, PhD, Psychology and Psychiatry, Past Director of Clinical Training for The University of New Mexico’s American Psychological Association Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, Co-Director of UNM’s Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions, Recipient of Several Research Awards, Pastoral Counseling, Integration of Spirituality with Psychology
- Becoming a Teacher of Presence, Integrating guidance into healing work
Instructor Eckhart Tolle, author of the New York Times bestseller “The Power of Now” and the highly acclaimed follow-up “A New Earth” which are widely regarded as two of the most influential spiritual books of our time
- Teaching the Teachers: Designed for Yoga and Meditation Teachers, Spiritual Leaders, Life Coaches, and Therapists who educate, inspire, heal, and nourish
Instructor Marianne Williamson, New York Times Best-selling Author, Spiritual Thought Leader, Dynamic Public Speaker
- Becoming an Intuitive Healer: An in-depth four-day professional development course for Healthcare Practitioners and The Empaths Survival Guide 8-week Intensive Online Course, Strategies to conquer the challenges of being sensitive and an empath
Instructor Dr Judith Orloff is transforming the face of psychiatry and asserts that we are keepers of an innate intuitive intelligence so perceptive that it can tell us how to heal and prevent illness. Yet intuition and spirituality are the very aspects of our wisdom usually disenfranchised from traditional health care. She is proving that the links between physical, emotional, and spiritual health can’t be ignored.
Sensitive and Empath
- The Empaths Survival Guide 8-week Intensive Online Course, Strategies to conquer the challenges of being sensitive and an empath
Instructor Dr Judith Orloff specializes in treating empaths and sensitive people in her Los Angeles based private practice.
- Empath Academy created specifically for empaths includes strategies and step-by-step instructions
Instructor Michael R Smith, PhD, noted self-help author Smith has been a global leader in the field of personal growth and transformation for over two decades. He is an author and works to help empaths and highly sensitive people recognize and embrace their gifts. He is a doctoral trained counselor, former energy medicine practitioner, and spiritual medium. He has personally coached several thousand individuals to make stronger connections between mind, body, and Spirit. EmpathConnection.com
End of Life, Energy, Mindfulness, Meditation, Self-care, Positive Psychology, Epigenetics, HeartMath, After-death Communication, Narcissism, Writing
- End of Life Care: Challenges and Innovation, Exploring dying and palliative care practice around the world and evaluating new trends and ideas surrounding end of life care issues. FutureLearn.com
Instructors Marian Krawczyk, David Clark and Naomi Richards, University of Glasgow End of Life Studies Group, University of Glasgow
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) and Thought Field Therapy (TFT) Tapping Pro Practitioner Certificate
Instructor Graham Nichols, professional coach, author, and expert in human behavioral patterns
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Tapping World Summit 2015
Instructor Nick Ortner, CEO of The Tapping Solution, LLC and Jessica Ortner, Producer
- Master Mindfulness Practitioner Training Course Certificate
Instructor Kain Ramsey
- Mindfulness Meditation Immersive Learning Experience: Opening to Our Lives
Instructor Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, Molecular Biology, Retired Professor of Medicine, Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine Creator, Internationally Known Scientist, Writer, and Meditation Teacher bringing mindfulness into the mainstream of medicine and society
- Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing, the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society (CMind)
Instructor David A Treleaven, PhD, Psychology, Writer, Educator, Trauma Professional, Intersection of Mindfulness, Trauma, and Social Justice focus, Visiting Brown University Scholar
- Mindfulness & Grief: Self-Compassion as Self-Care
Instructor Heather Stang, MA, Thanatology, Mindfulness Speaker, Author
- Masters Program – The Science of Self Empowerment: Cellular Consciousness, Heart Intelligence, and The New Human Story
Instructors Bestselling Author, Scientist & Visionary Gregg Braden, Best-selling Author & Bruce Lipton, PhD, Neurobiology, Howard Martin, HeartMath Leader, Deborah Rozman, PhD, Psychology
Jennifer McLean’s Healing With The Masters Summit, Wisdom and techniques needed to finally break free of subconscious blocks holding you back from creating the life you want and the happiness you deserve, The Shift Network
Instructors Jennifer McLean, Lisa Nichols, Jack Canfield, Mary A Hall, Sonia Ricotti, Eileen McKusick, Marianne Williamson, Colette Baron-Reid, Jarrad Hewett, Dee Wallace, Dawn Clark, Ram Dass, Raghu Markus, Marci Shimoff, Marie Diamond, Dr Sue Morter, Christy Whitman, Anita Moorjani, Donna Eden, Deborah Wayne, Emmanuel Dagher
Energy Healing Masterclass, Hay House
Instructors included some of today’s top names in different energy healing modalities, Donna Eden, Margaret Lynch Raniere, Donna Eden, David Feinstein, Mona Lisa Schulz, MD, PhD, Dougall Fraser, Anodea Judith, PhD, Rajshree Patel, Dawson Church, PhD, Kelsey Patel
- Your Happiness Genes: Harnessing the Power of Positive Psychology and Epigenetics for Your Health and Wellbeing
Instructor Dawson Church, PhD, is a health writer and researcher. He is an award-winning author whose best-selling book The Genie in Your Genes (YourGeniousGenes.com) has been hailed by reviewers as a breakthrough in linking emotions and genetics. His follow-up title, Mind to Matter, (MindToMatter.com) reviews the science of peak mental states. He has conducted dozens of clinical trials and founded the National Institute for Integrative Healthcare (NIIH.org) to promote groundbreaking new treatments. He shares how to apply the breakthroughs of energy psychology to health and personal performance through EFT Universe (EFTUniverse.com), one of the largest alternative medicine sites on the web.
- Learning and Applying “The Formula” to arrive in the perfect state to begin change with extensive teaching followed by a guided meditation, Livestream from Portland, Oregon. Neuroscientist, Chiropractor, Best-selling Author
Instructor Joe Dispenza, DC, PhD, Chiropractic, Neuroscience, Chiropractor, Best-selling Author, International Lecturer, Researcher, Corporate Consultant
- Doc Childre’s HeartMath Method: Five Steps to Total Calm, Confidence, and Creativity
Instructor Howard Martin, HeartMath Leader
- Hugs From Heaven: The Phenomenon Known as After-death communication
Instructor Lynda Cheldelin Fell, International Best-selling author, AlyBlue Media, Founder, Grief Diaries Radio Host, National Grief & Hope Convention Host, International Grief Institute Founder, Certified Critical Incident Stress Management Educator, 30+ Navigating Loss and Finding Hope Author, Five National Literary Awards
- Signs From HeavenHugs From Heaven, Compassionate Friends National Conference
Instructor Christine Duminiak, After-Death Communication Expert, Author, Speaker
- Understanding Narcissism Summit, A groundbreaking online event from SoundsTrue.com addressing one of the major challenges today.
Hosts Tami Simon, Founder of Sounds True, a multi-media publisher and Jeffrey Rutstein, PsyD, trauma specialist
Top expert instructors in the field include Ramani Durvasula, PhD, W. Keith Campbell, PhD, Terri Cole, LCSW, MSW, Abdul Saad, MPsych, Craig Malkin, PhD, Bandy X Lee, MD, MDiv, Sandy Hotchkiss, PsyD, LCSW, Caroline Myss, Emily Bebenek, Judith Orloff, MD, Karla McLaren, MEd, AH Almaas, Bonnie Duran, DrPH, Rick Hanson, PhD, Satinder Brar, MSc, RP, CCC, Rhonda Freeman, PhD, Jeff Pincus, MSW, LCSW, Kristin Neff, PhD, Clarissa Pinkola Estés, PhD
- Hay House Writer’s Workshop
Instructors include top-selling authors like Deepak Chopra MD, Doreen Virtue, Marianne Williamson, Gregg Braden, Kris Carr, Mike Dooley, Lynne McTaggart, Michael Neill, Nick Ortner, Gabrielle Bernstein, and many more
- Experienced speaker on diverse topics including all aspects of grief, leadership, quality improvement, exceptional service, and business success.
- Providing Strengthening Resilience and Mind/Body Techniques workshop for the Journeys of Hope Healing and Health Cruise.
- Returning presenter for The Compassionate Friends and Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- Coordinated local Meetup presentations
- Portfolio of consistent positive seminar feedback can be provided on request.
- Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology EnergyPsych.org $135/yr
- Association for Death Education and Counseling ADEC.org $219/yr
- Australian Center for Grief and Bereavement Grief.Org.au $200/yr AUD
- National Storytelling Network Healing Story Alliance StoryNet.org/Groups/Healing-Story-Alliance-HSA $75/yr
- International Association of Animal Hospice & Palliative Care IAAHPC.org $69/yr
- International Network on Personal Meaning, Meaning.ca $90/yr
- National Alliance for Grieving Children, ChildrenGrieve.org $75/yr
- Somatic (Body) Experiencing Trauma Institute, TraumaHealing.org $60/yr
- The Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education, ContemplativeMind.org $125/yr
Contemplative education is a philosophy of higher education that integrates introspection and experiential learning into academic study in order to support academic and social engagement, develop self-understanding, purpose, meaning, analytical capacities, and cultivate skills for engaging constructively with others.
- The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement APLB.org $25/yr
- The American Academy of Bereavement AAB.Wildapricot.org $99/yr
- Bruce H Lipton, PhD Private Group Membership BruceLipton.com/Membership $84/yr
An internationally recognized leader in bridging science and spirit, bestselling author of “The Biology of Belief” revealing how science is revolutionizing our understanding of the link between thoughts, emotion, and the physical body.
Rotated due to expense and annual similar information.
Grief Organization Email Subscriptions
Resources available on websites. Opt-in or request subscribing.
- Academy of Inner Science aims to connect the wisdom of the inner world with the knowledge of the outer world. The Academy offers training modules, workshops, study groups, and facilitation training. Founder Thomas Hübl, is a spiritual teacher whose work integrates insights of the great wisdom traditions with the discoveries of contemporary science that address trauma and shadow issues. ThomasHuebl.com/AcademyInnerScience
- Center for Loss is led by grief counselor and educator Dr. Alan Wolfelt. It is an organization dedicated to helping people who are grieving and those who care for them with resources. CenterForLoss.com
- Child Trauma Academy (CTA) is a Community of Practice working to improve the lives of high-risk children through direct service, research, and education. By creating biologically-informed child and family respectful practice, programs and policy, CTA seeks to help maltreated and traumatized children. ChildTrauma.org
- Dying Matters is a coalition of individual and organizational members across England and Wales, which aims to help people talk more openly about dying, death and bereavement, and to make plans for the end of life. DyingMatters.org
- Emerging Minds is dedicated to advancing the mental health and emotional wellbeing of Australian infants, children, adolescents, and their families. They develop mental health evidence-based policy, services, interventions, training, programs, and free resources in response to the needs of professionals, children and their families. Emergingminds.com.au
- ENDWELL Project is a movement to transform the end of life into a human-centered experience. EndWellProject.org
- Global Grief Support trains local community-based peer counselors who know the culture and who will remain after a natural disaster to provide ongoing grief support. GlobalGriefSupport.org
- Good Grief in Australia has programs and training designed to help children, young people, and adults understand and attend well to their grief following change and loss experiences. GoodGrief.org.au
- Growth Coaching International is committed to working collaboratively with clients, sharing practitioner-focused, impactful, research-informed and practical coaching skills within a positive and empathetic environment for personal, professional and organizational improvement. www.GrowthCoaching.com.au
- Heal For Life Foundation supports survivors to heal and have hope that they can be free of the pain of their childhood. They have collaborated and learned from thousands of survivors about research-based methods, strategies, and tools that work best. Their innovative recovery model T.R.E.E (Trust, Release, Empower, Educate) is based on the latest research in the neurobiology of trauma. HealForLife.com.au
- Hospice Foundation of America (HFA) is a trusted source of information on end of life, hospice care and grief. HospiceFoundation.org
- International Work Group on Death, Dying and Bereavement (IWG) is a non-profit organization, supporting leaders in the field of death, dying and bereavement in their efforts to stimulate and enhance innovative ideas, research and practice. IWGDDB.com
- Mental Health First Aid is managed, operated, and disseminated by the National Council for Behavioral Health and the Missouri Department of Mental Health. Mental Health First Aid is a skills-based training course that teaches participants about mental health and substance-use issues.
- Havening Techniques® is a neuroplasticity method, which is designed to change the brain to de-traumatize the memory and remove its negative effects from both our psyche and body. Part of its protocol uses the sensory input of human touch as a therapeutic tool. Havening.org
- Nour Foundation explores meaning and commonality in human experience by adopting a multidisciplinary and integrative approach to the study of principles and values that universally engender greater understanding, tolerance, and unity among human beings worldwide. NourFoundation.com
- Open Recovery works within a social-impact model, we strive to reach, compel, invite, and inspire those in long-term recovery to become agents of change by coming out of the shadows. OpenRecoverySanFrancisco.org
- Phoenix Australia Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health has the vision to improve well-being and quality of life for individuals and communities who experience trauma. Their mission is to be an international leader in building the capability of individuals, organizations and the community to understand, prevent and recover from the adverse mental health effects of trauma. PhoenixAustralia.org
- Portland Institute for Loss and Transition offers international, interdisciplinary training for therapists, counselors, social workers, life coaches, chaplains and others who work alongside people striving to reconstruct their lives, drawing on contemporary theory and research. PortlandInstitute.org
- Psychotherapy and Counseling Journal of Australia is an international, peer-reviewed journal that aims to contribute to the evidence-base for counseling and psychotherapy. PACJA publishes theoretical essays, experiential reports, and empirical studies featuring quantitative, qualitative, or mixed-method approaches. PACJA.org.au
- Resilience Research Centre led by Dr. Michael Ungar collaborates on research with various worldwide institutions to explore resilience across cultures with a focus on children and youth while providing tools and training in the form of workshops and conferences. The Centre has built a world-renowned resource hub of resilience expertise and tools to support young people, families, and communities. ResilienceResearch.org
- Starr Commonwealth is driven to empower professionals to build resilience in children, families, and communities across the world through online education, in-person training and coaching, and direct behavioral health services. Includes the National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children (TLC). STARR.org
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation, SAMHSA.gov
- The Center for Complicated Grief is dedicated to improving the lives of people suffering from complicated grief by helping clinicians and the general public learn how to recognize complicated grief. ComplicatedGrief.Columbia.edu
- The National Foundation for Grieving Children Teens and Families has a mission to help provide grief counseling and bereavement support services to children and teens who have experienced the loss of a parent or loved one, regardless of the circumstances of the death. ALittleHope.org
- The National Institute for Integrative Healthcare (NIIH) is a leading-edge nonprofit dedicated to therapies, research, and education in the fields of Energy Medicine and Energy Psychology. NIIH.org
- Trauma Center at Justice Resource Institute (JRI) provides comprehensive services to local traumatized children and adults. It also offers training, consultation, and education for post-graduate mental health professionals. TraumaCenter.org
- Trauma Research Foundation is a non-profit Doing Business As the Trauma Center, organized to promote clinical, scientific, and educational projects. They are dedicated to an integrative approach to developing treatments for traumatized children and adults, research, and training postdoctoral students. TraumaResearchFoundation.org
- Violent Death Bereavement Society serves as a centralized forum of information and training for service providers of loved ones and family members after violent death. VDBS.org
Advisors, Coaches, and Mentors
Past and Present
- Sharon Ehlers
Award-Winning Author, Speaker, Reiki Master, Certified Master Grief Coach, Advanced Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®, Death Midwife, Books: Grief Reiki®, Grief Diaries Co-author & Contributor, Grief-Reiki.com
- Anissa Picard
M.A. Teaching, Online French Instructor, Certified Master Grief Coach, End-of-Life Doula, Reiki Master, Writer, Speaker, Staff Member of Family-Owned Funeral Home, State Tested Nurse Aide, AnissaPicard.com
- Darcy L Harris, RN, RSW, PhD, Psychology, Thanatology, Health Science, FT
Associate Professor and the Thanatology Coordinator at King’s University College in London, Canada, where she has maintained a clinical practice for 20 years specializing in issues related to change, loss, and transition. She is a senior faculty member with the Portland Institute for Loss and Transition. She is an author and speaker on death, dying, and bereavement. Kings.UWO.ca
- Laurie Burke, PhD
Research assistant professor at the University of Memphis and maintains an active clinical practice in Portland, Oregon. Burke has published extensively on grief and its complications, with a special focus on the role of spiritual struggle in bereavement and violent death loss. Her therapeutic work engages her with a wide range of losses, with a particular concentration on the experience of traumatic and violent death bereavement. BurkePsychological.com
- Rocky Krogfoss
Owner: New Beginnings Therapy: Quantum Emotional Healer: Migraines, Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, Abuse Migraine1Mastery.com
- Sabine Minsky
As an osteopath and Reiki Master, Sabine is delighted to bring an even deeper level to her clients’ healing and growth process through Soul readings and coaching. She is an intuitive and empath. She accompanies women who are spiritually-awakening and face difficulties in building lasting soul-confidence to create the life they truly desire. Montreal, Canada, FromHearttoSoul.com
- Barbara Hribar
- Eilene S Golub, LPCC, LICDC, LSW
Earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Ursuline College and a Masters of Human Services and Counseling from John Carroll University, she has practiced in the behavioral health field for more than 20 years. She is licensed by the State of Ohio with supervisory status. Elaine has worked in residential treatment, trauma centers, crisis intervention stress debriefing settings, and as a Crisis Intervention Coordinator for major hospitals.
- Dominic A Frisina, JD, MA
Intellectual property attorney practicing since 2005, protecting all rights including copyright, trademarks, and patents from theft and infringement. He also specializes in business and commercial law. Based in Ohio, but works with clients across the country. BuckleyKing.com
- Susan M Rager, CPA, CGMA
Since 2001, Susan Rager, CPA, LLC has been providing personalized professional accounting services in Ohio. She goes the extra mile to offer the custom-tailored insight, support, and guidance needed. Serving the unique needs of clients on a one-to-one basis, she is accessible and flexible. SusanRagerCPA.com
It may be helpful when considering grief-related training opportunities to understand terminology including credential, certificate, certification, licensure, and accreditation. An explanation of how these designations relate to grief education including the Master Grief Coach Certification program is provided.
Qualifications include accomplishments that make someone suitable for a particular job or activity. Qualifications include education, experience, skills and personal qualities.
Credential means a confirmation of qualification or competence issued to an individual by a third-party with a relevant authority or assumed competence to do so.
Certificate of participation or completion is an official document signed by an authorized person or people confirming attendance in person or completion of reviewing online/phone information/videos for a class or a training course. The certificate provides proof of attendance but not evidence of learning because knowledge is not assessed in any way. Certificates are also provided when an individual is certified to confirm attendance and comprehension.
Certification refers to those with expert knowledge confirming specifically defined abilities of another. It acknowledges a person’s achievement of something. Certification is an endorsement usually provided by some form of education, testing, and assessment. Credentials including experience describe the sources of proficiency in procedures or specialties. Certifications can differ within a profession by the level or specific area of expertise. Each varies in terms of time, fees, and examinations required. Although anyone can create a certification program, expertise and experience are critical for success. Certification differs from legal licensure but similar in that they both require the demonstration of a certain level of knowledge or ability.
Most organizations and employers will be thankful any employee has any quality grief education. If you want an employer or organization to confirm they will recognize the Master Grief Coach certification or certification from any other entity, provide them with a copy of the grief education program information including qualifications and testimonials.
Licensure means a legally restricted practice or use of an occupational title requiring a license like mental/behavioral health Counselors/Therapists. This often involves accredited training and examinations but varies for different activities and in different countries and states. Licensure is administered by a governmental entity for public protection purposes and a professional association administers certification. For example, anyone being able to practice counseling, but only licensees are allowed to call themselves “Licensed Professional Counselors” (LPC). For some occupations and professions, licensing is often granted through a professional body or a licensing board composed of practitioners who oversee the applications for licenses.
No legal requirements for coaching because coaches do not treat mental disorders or tell people what to do. A self-designated coach may not succeed and could do unintentional harm without appropriate education and individually retained legal advice as needed to establish a practice or respond to legal issues. Most states, New York possibly being the strictest, do not have legal requirements for a business using terminology including Academy, Center of Excellence, Institute, or International Association, so research organizations before doing business with them. It may not be best to let the name alone influence your purchasing decision.
Accreditation mainly applies to a process of validation in which colleges, universities and other institutions of higher learning are evaluated. Earning accreditation by an independent agency in the United States is voluntary. The United States Department of Education ED.gov only provides accreditation quality assurance oversight by recognizing institutions of higher education that meet acceptable levels of quality. The pre-determined standards for accreditation are set by a peer review board whose members include faculty from various accredited colleges and universities.
Credentials and education from diverse experts were acquired to create and differentiate the Certified Master Grief Coach program. It is independent and not affiliated with or accredited by any outside third-party organization because there is no board that specifically accredits grief coaching or grief education programs.
Consistent with business best practice and dedicated to excellence and continuous quality improvement, the Certified Master Grief Coach program was established with oversight of an initial advisory board with diverse credentials and receives ongoing education, advice, coaching, and mentoring proactively and as needed from an even broader group of professionals. In addition, the Certified Master Grief Coaches, which includes an incredible breadth of education and professional expertise, are encouraged to participate in providing suggestions and feedback regarding future enhancements to the program.
Experts Referenced and Recommended Resources
After over three years of research, the “Understanding Grief and Healing” and “Master Grief Coaching” modules concisely summarize key areas where diverse prominent grief experts listed in the document mostly agree but also disagree. The “Master Grief Coaching” module summarizes key areas where diverse prominent experts listed explain basic life coaching emphasizing listening and guiding skills that overlap with that element of counseling.
Education which may include eBooks, Kindle, Audible, hardcopy books, textbooks, articles, recordings, webinars, videos, workshops, and classes from the following top experts was referenced and is highly recommended.
- Thought and emotion
- Sensitive and empath
- Mindfulness and meditation
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Tapping
- Coaching and Mental/Behavioral Health Counseling/Therapy
- Alan D Wolfelt PhD, Psychology, Social Science
- Alfred Adler, MD, PhD, Psychology, Psychiatry
- Alyssa A Rheingold PhD, Psychiatry
- Annah Elizabeth, The Five Facets Philosophy on Healing™ Founder and Creator
- Basia Mosinski, MB MFA, Mind, Body, & Spiritual Alignment Coach
- Carla Stumpf-Patton, EdD, LMHC, NCC, FT, CCTP
- Charles Jacob, PhD, Psychology
- Christine Duminiak, After-Death Communication Expert, Author, Speaker
- Colin Murray Parkes, PhD, Psychiatry
- Dale G Larson, PhD, Psychology
- Darcy Harris, PhD, Psychology, Thanatology, Health Science
- David A Treleaven, PhD, Psychology
- David Kessler, MS Health Care Administration, Bioethics, Grief.com
- Dennis Klass, PhD, Psychology
- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross, PhD, Psychiatry
- George Bonanno PhD, Psychology
- Glen Lord, BS, Founder, The Grief Toolbox
- Gloria Horsley, PhD, Psychology and Heidi Horsley, PsyD, Psychology, Open to Hope
- Grief Recovery Institute
- Henk Schut, PhD, Psychology
- J William Worden, PhD, ABPP, Psychology
- Jill Bolte Taylor, Phd, Neuroanatomist
- John Bowlby, PhD, Psychology, Psychiatry
- Judith Blackstone, PhD, Psychology, Eastern Religion
- Laurie Burke, PhD, Psychology
- Ligia M Hoban, MA, FT, FAAGC, CPC, CHT, Center for Transforming Lives
- Litsa Williams and Eleanor Haley, Mental Health Professionals
- Lynda Cheldelin Fell, International Best-selling and Award-winning Author
- Margaret Stroebe, PhD, Psychology
- Marian Krawczyk, David Clark and Naomi Richards, University of Glasgow End of Life Studies Group, University of Glasgow
- Mark Keep, MD, Cardiology, Addiction Medicine, Complicated Grief
- Michael Ungar, PhD, Psychology
- Mitch Carmody, GSP, CCP, Grief Educator, Motivational Speaker, Author
- Peter A Levine, PhD, Biophysics and Psychology, Founder, Somatic Experiencing
- Phyllis Kosminsky, PhD, Social Welfare
- Robert A Neimeyer, PhD, Psychology, Portland Institute for Loss and Transition Faculty
- Robin Chodak, Certified Grief, Life, and Spiritual Coach, Master NLP Practitioner, Reiki Practitioner, Best-Selling Author
- Ronald Ruden, MD, PhD, Organic Chemistry
- Ronnie Janoff-Bulman, PhD, Psychology
- Sharon Ehlers, Award-Winning Author, Speaker, Reiki Master, Certified Master Grief Coach, Advanced Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®, Death Midwife
- Shelby Forsythia, Author, Podcaster, Certified Grief Recovery Specialist®, Reiki Level II Practitioner, and Intuitive Grief Guide
- Stephen Rollnick, PhD, Psychology
- Steven Jenkinson MTS MSW, Orphan Wisdom
- Tanya Lord, MPH, PhD, Clinical and Population Health Research
- Ted Rynearson, MD, Psychiatry, FAPA, FACP, FRANZCP
- Terri Daniel, DMin, CT, CCT, Afterlife Conference
- Thomas Attig PhD, GriefHearts.com
- Thomas Hübl, Founder, Academy of Inner Science
- William R Miller, PhD, Psychology
Thought and emotion
- Bruce Lipton, PhD, Neurobiology
- Bruce Perry, MD, PhD, Psychiatrist
- Byron Katie, Speaker, Best-selling Author
- Dawson Church, PhD, Natural Medicine
- Eckhart Tolle, Studied at University of London and Cambridge University, Best-selling Author
- Gabrielle Bernstein, Speaker, Life Coach, and Best-selling Author
- Gregg Braden, Visionary, Best-selling Author
- Joe Dispenza, DC, PhD, Chiropractic, Neuroscience, Best-selling Author
- Deborah Rozman, PhD, Psychology
- Wayne W Dyer, PhD, Educational Counseling
- Wendy A Suzuki, PhD, Neuroscience, Psychology
Sensitive and empath
- Elaine Aron, PhD, Psychology Researcher
- Judith Orloff, MD, Psychiatrist, Best-selling Author
- Michael R Smith, PhD, Counseling, Empath Academy
- Christian Northrup, MD, Best-selling Author
Mindfulness and meditation
- Heather Stang, MA, Thanatology
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, Molecular Biology
- Kain Ramsey, International Best-selling Multidisciplinary Trainer Including NLP
Emotional freedom technique (EFT) tapping
- Dawson Church, PhD, Natural Medicine, EFT Universe
- Gary Craig, Stanford engineering graduate, a Certified Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, and trained in other forms of Energy Psychology
- Graham Nichols, Professional Coach, Author, and expert in human behavioral patterns
- Nick Ortner, CEO of The Tapping Solution, LLC
- Dave Ramsey, BS Finance, Financial Peace University, Best-selling author
- Suzie Orman, Financial Advisor, Best-selling author
Coaching and Mental/Behavioral Health Counseling/Therapy
- Dr Michael J Duckett, AA, BS, MA, DC, JDScience, Law, Chiropractic, Theology, Psychology
- Reverend Karell T. McDaniel, LICDC-CS
- Judith Orloff, MD, Psychiatrist, Best-selling Author
- Kain Ramsey, International Best-selling Multidisciplinary Trainer including NLP
- Ruth Buczynski, PhD, Psychology and Faculty, Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine
- Eckhart Tolle, Best-selling author
- Marianne Williamson, Best-selling author
- Portland Institute for Loss and Transition, Robert Neimeyer, PhD, Psychology and Faculty
- Tony Robbins, Life Coach, Self-help Guru, Motivational Speaker, Best-selling Author